Tuesday 16 February 2010

Nissen Micra & VW Golf with what are probably illegal upgrade Headlights

Was it from a thread on the Briskoda.net or MBC Motorist club Forum we were informed about illegal upgrade lights?

Last night at 10:PM 15th February at Bermondsey Square SE1 I noticed at close range another of the many cars with dazzling headlights which are set in my opinion wrongly. It was a black VW Golf registration AF05 PMU. Later at 00:30 on the 16th I was travelling south on the Fulham Palace Road and yet another dazzling incident. This time an old Nissen Micra I think with the registration R519 JCN with upgrade lights and with a small bright blue light in the corner of each headlamp that if you looked at for too long left you seeing stars. As this car was following me south towards Putney Bridge not only was I being dazzled from behind the offside was worse than the nearside but the near side would have been a problem even if the offside was broken. In plain English these lights were a lightmare waiting to happen.

[These drivers probably like driving with the extra light, but they are in my opinion dangerous and chavvy]

I rarely pull over to let these drivers pass and suffer total wipe out in my rear view mirrors but I happened to notice I was following a Police car so I seized my opportunity to let the Micra driver dazzle the Police. What I have to say now is pure supposition as the Micra pulled quickly behind me from the kerb to dazzle me from behind and I am assuming the Police car in front had stopped this car with dazzling lights and spoken to the driver. At the moment I let the driver pass me he quickly pulled in as not to follow the Police car got out and started to check his front lights. It was at this point I took down the registration.

Epilogue

I see many of these upgrade lights on a nightly basis along with the Bi-xenon lights that often dazzle you. If you have seen these types of incidences and not voted it is time to do so. The DSA [Driving Standards Authority] has at last acknowledged me and will be considering my proposals for more information about night driving when taking a driving test. Brilliant news!! Let’s hope their considerations move to something more positive and my changes are approved.


It is my opinion that a far stricter MOT is needed for the Bi-xenon headlamp. Why do the Manufacturers and Government ignore us? It would be appreciated if you vote to change the current regulation with the link below. Thanks


Petition to: revise the RVLR 1989 regulation

If you live in the USA and many other places around the World and have the more sensitive eyes that find Daytime Running Lights distract making added dangers for you go to the DaDRL and vote:-
DaDRL UK Vote against Daytime Running Lights

No comments:

Post a Comment